Monday, April 27, 2009

Inbox...FULL!!

I have to say that my thank you this week has made made me a little more reflective than usual. I enjoy writing my thank yous each week more than any part of doing this blog (aside from taking the photos of course!!).  I am sending out my sincerest thanks this week to four special women in my life; Jen, Fiona, Sam and Erin.  Dave and I are fortunate to have planted our family amongst the most incredible neighbourhood I have ever known.  It is FULL of intelligent, creative, humourous, supportive and as you can see...beautiful women (I do think they should do a show called the Wives of Laurelwood!!). How could I have been this lucky to have met up with neighbours like this?  There are many women in our neighbourhood that have contributed in their own way to supporting me on this journey...and what a journey this is becoming (more on this later).  I had just finished a shoot a couple of weeks ago and as usual I sent out a couple of fav's (well maybe more like 5 or 6) to these women to have a peek at.  I am known to say things in the title line of the e-mail like...."Check this out" or "Sooo cute" or the most famous one, "Last one...I promise".  As I punched up the e-mail addresses for the photos I realized that I have been sending off pictures to these same ladies for a couple of years now and not once has one of them complained (they are far too nice to do that!) or told me that I am over loading their Rogers accounts! However, I know they are full because I get the "delivery failure" notice. I want to thank you ladies for always "checking them out" and sending the sweetest little notes back. It has meant so much for you to have been there from the beginning. I share this with you. 
And as for the journey part....I am quickly learning that opening your own business, learning a new craft and putting your creative energy and passion to work can be very draining emotionally. The highs are so high and the lows well - they are just that. I am also learning that they make you stronger.  It's not easy to be entering down a path where everything you produce is ultimately judged. But for those you make happy - it makes it all worth it!  So far, I think the most valuable lesson I have learned is that after you have all of the "technical" stuff figured out it really comes down to the relationship you have made with that little person or the family behind the camera lense that is the most important.  It is their eyes you are looking into. It is their life you are capturing. And for me, this is by far, the part I am enjoying the most.

Thanks again ladies.....and on a side note two of these beautiful women are embarking on their own small business journeys. I only hope that I can pay them back with the same love, support and respect for their talent that they have shown me. I will most certainly be photographing their talents (interior design and a cooking school!!) in the months to come. I can hardly wait!! 
As for the rest of the "Wives of Laurelwood" - I have some thank yous coming to you in the months to come!






No comments:

Post a Comment